Friday, September 26, 2008

dreaming

I had an interesting dream last night.

My family owned a movie theater/wine bar (doesn't that sound like fun!) and I was working the bar/ticket booth. One of my customers looked familiar and I realized it was an ex-boyfriend. He was with a very lovely young woman. He and the woman came to get their tickets and wine and we had a great little reunion. I found out that he had just purchased some land by a river and he and the new girlfriend (who was an artist of some sort and very likable) were building a house together. In the dream I was absolutely thrilled for him and in those few seconds when you wake up after a dream and still think it's reality, I was still thrilled.

I mention this dream because it's basically something I really want to happen. This particular ex and I haven't seen each other in several months (since we broke up). When we did break up, he wasn't in the best place in life and while I am no longer in love or anything, I still do care. And I want to know he's alright.

I've been very tempted to find his number and give him a ring. My girlfriends here have said "absolutely not." They don't want him to still think I'm hung up on him nor do they think it's will do me any good.

I want to see/call him not out of any desire to nurture a friendship or anything--just to make sure he's alright. And I guess that's kinda selfish. Why put myself back in his life (even for a brief phone call) just to know he's okay?

Anyway, I've been thinking about this some lately (probably in part because I've recently gotten back in touch with one of my favorite people in the world that I hadn't spoken to in, well, years... and he's great and that makes me so ridiculously happy knowing that). While I have no desire for friendship with this ex, I really do want to know he's alright, that life is treating him well, and that he's treating himself well.

But for now, I'm listening to my girlfriends and I guess I'll just have to hope that my dreams are a little prophetic.

1 comment:

Singular Girl said...

I'm going to have to say listen to your GIRLFRIENDS and don't call the guy... especially if it is who I think it is. Perhaps your dreams just have a way of telling you that this part of your life is now CLOSED in a happy and special way.