Monday, August 18, 2008

good conversation

This afternoon I had a good - no, really, great - conversation with OP. I knew it was coming after last night - Director told him I was upset about comments made - and he, of course, wanted to talk with me.

Apparently out of 55 surveys 2 folks had negative things to say about me (definitely in that certain age group). But one of the overarching themes that came out of the survey was the strength of pastoral leadership - how the two of us were a benefit to Church, the way we complimented each other and what not. He rightfully said he didn't want to dismiss anyone, but that it's very possible people judged me as I was when I first showed up (all bright-eyed and fresh from seminary) and haven't allowed me room for growth in their minds.

Then we talked about that growth - how part of me was a little silly, not just joyful, but how I've grown into my pastoral identity, matured and what not. We also talked about where I may be called next. It was good to get his perspective - how he can see me loving a non-traditional but still solidly in the church structure call, being creative with worship and connecting to people, going out and meeting people where they are (literally and figuratively), continuing in the pastoral care that I get to do here. He talked about how great it is to watch that maturity and growth.

Yay.

No comments: